Hanging out behind the counter puts me in a position to hear what everyone is asking for……….. and for about 2 years now everyone and their brother has been asking for “spiralizers”!!!! Suddenly everyone wants to turn their veggies into faux pasta. Why would these crazy humans do that??
Turns out there are some legit reasons to replace that delicious pasta. For those people embracing their inner “hunter-gatherer”, a paleo diet avoids all processed ingredients such as wheat flour. Spiralized veggies and sauce provide a far less processed alternative to pasta.
And then there some of you out there using spiralized veggies as a sneaky way of getting veggies into your family.……….not sure as a family dog I approve of tricking your family, but slip me a treat and I’ll never tell.
Correctly cooked with a nice sauce and your family doesn’t even know those noodles are really zucchini. Check out this recipe for BACON CACIO E PEPE from Ali Maffucci’s “Inspiralized “
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 large garlic clove-minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 medium zucchini-spiralized to spaghetti width
- ¼ cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- Cracked black peppercorns
- 1.Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat lightly with oil. Cook bacon until crisp and remove to drain.
- 2.Add garlic and pepper flakes to skillet and cook for approximately 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the zucchini noodles and cook 2-3 minutes until al dente. Toss noodles while cooking to avoid overcooking. Generously season with black pepper and add the cheeses, tossing more to combine thoroughly until the noodles are coated with cheese.
- 3.Divide between two bowls, topping each serving with more pepper and Parmigiano cheese. Crumble bacon on top and serve.
Whatever your motivation for spiralizing, we can help you……..well, my uncle or one of the ladies will help you…..I’ll be sleeping behind the counter
P.S. Since I’m supposed to be blogging about “spiralizing” veggies today, Uncle Allen decided I need to use a picture that looks like my hair has been “spiralized”………..personally, I think he just likes playing with photo apps….